Sunday, December 3, 2017

Life is Good!

Hey!
So far the MTC is pretty great. We’ve already started speaking Spanish—within the first hour actually. It’s been loads of fun and full of spiritual experiences. Although I wasn’t expecting to be speaking yet, I think I’m doing alright. When our teachers are talking I can understand about half of what they are saying. I can already testify of how real and powerful the gift of tongues is. We are supposed to be speaking Spanglish as much as possible. They want us to be saying all the words we know as much as possible. Right now my vocabulary is basically Hola, bien, and caliente with other words that I can’t remember very well.

 My companions name is Elder McCown. He is from Mesa, Arizona. He is about 6’4 or so and played volleyball in high school. We are getting along really well. Our room that we sleep in has 4 other elders in it so a total of 6 of us stay in the same room. We are all going to the same mission and leave the same day. Oh yeah that reminds me, I am only staying in the MTC for 6 weeks, not 8. Everyone is my room is really cool. Elder Mortensen is from Arizona, Elder Thelin is from Arizona, Elder Smith is from Logan, UT, and Elder Rassunsen is from Canada. We are having loads of fun together. The food isn’t the best but it is what it is. Saturday’s are my P-days and we get to go to the temple if we want. Our room went today and did an initiatory session. We had breakfast after, and compared to the cafeteria food in the MTC, breakfast was muy bueno. 

Yesterday we had our first lesson with an “investigator.” I say “investigator” because there is no way they would let brand new missionaries that speak barely any Espanol to teach a real investigator. We’ve also been told that our investigator ends up being our teacher later on. But our lesson went alright. We were about 5 minutes short of our goal to teach for at least 20 minutes, but 15 minutes is actually really good for only two days of learning Spanish. I can’t wait until I can hold a decent conversation. The guys that have been here longer say that by about the 3 week mark, you can hold a pretty decent conversation. But of course you have to put the work in, and I am. Loads of study time everyday. 

On Thursday night we met our branch presidency. We don’t have a second councilor yet, the old one was just called somewhere else, but we should by tomorrow night. President Cuthburt and his wife are pretty funny and really cool. Brother Taggart could be Elder Bednard’s twin. In the meeting we learned about our missionary purpose. During the second half, Sister Cuthburt and Sister Taggart taught about 2 Nephi 31 and the doctrine of Christ. While they did that, President Cuthburt and brother Taggart would take us out one by one and do a sort of get to know you interview. By the end of the meeting, they decided who would be the district leaders. There were two district at the meetings, which means that there were two district leaders. And I’m one of them! It’s been pretty easy so far, just pick up mail and assign prayers during lesson and talks for district meetings. Over all, the MTC is awesome. And before I forget again. I can read emails everyday. I just can’t reply until P-day.  I can reply until 6pm to emails on my P-day too. I can get packages here too, just not when I get to Argentina. 

I can’t wait to hear from, you guys! Hasta luego!

          Elder Haley

1 comment:

  1. How awesome this experience is! Your companion is from Mesa,Arizona where my sister, Shelly Stradling and her family, as well as my husband Bob and I live. ☺
    Two more Elders from Arizona is great, too.
    May you all be blessed as you learn and bless others with the Lord's scriptures.
    Much love and prayers.
    Bob and LouAnn Rice

    ReplyDelete